Eurosoccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eurosoccer

RegisterLog inHomeLatest imagesSearch

Sunderland boss Keane hopes to keep Man Utd duo

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
EURO SOCCER
Admin
Admin
EURO SOCCER

Male
Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Sunderland boss Keane hopes to keep Man Utd duo Empty
PostSubject: Sunderland boss Keane hopes to keep Man Utd duo   Sunderland boss Keane hopes to keep Man Utd duo Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2007 1:22 am

Sunderland boss Roy Keane wants to keep Manchester United pair Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson for next season's Premiership campaign.
Keane said: "I keep saying they are Manchester United players, and there is no getting away from that, we knew that when we took them
"It is has been a win-win situation for everybody. It has been a great experience for the two lads to come out - I am not sure they would have played many first-team games.

"They might have over the last week or two because of the number of injuries United have had, but generally speaking, they would not have played that much, I don't think.

"They have come to Sunderland, they have played regular first-team football, they have got used to playing in front of big crowds, and our fans are very demanding.

"If they make it at United, they will find exactly the same, so it has been a fantastic deal for both clubs and for both players, because as well as they have done on the football pitch, they have been brilliant in the dressing room.

"I have to say they are two top lads and it would be fantastic if we could get them next year. But ultimately, we want to get players who are Sunderland players."

That last point is significant for Keane - he has been acutely aware that Evans and Simpson were only ever likely to be temporary members as they set their sights on breaking into the senior set-up at United.

As he sets about investing the estimated £25million with which Niall Quinn's Drumaville consortium is expected to furnish him this summer, he is looking to build a permanent foundation.

Keane said: "Two of our back four were not even our players. A club like Sunderland, it is all well and good having these loan players, and Jonny and Danny have been absolutely fantastic and a credit to themselves.

"I will obviously be speaking to Sir Alex when their season is over. There is no way I would dream of ringing a manager now when they are in the middle of such an important period.

"But ultimately, we want our own players because with this loan situation, they are not your players and you have got to be careful with that.

"I want a strong squad where they are Sunderland players and there is no such thing as players being called back, because there is a lot of uncertainty with that.

"Sometimes you are hanging on the end of a phone waiting to see if a club is going to let them come out to you, and a club like Sunderland, we need to be in a better position than that.

"It is great we have had these loan players, who have done brilliantly for us, but ultimately, we want our own players."
Back to top Go down
pran
Starting 11
Starting 11
pran

Male
Number of posts : 123
Supports : Manchester United FC
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Sunderland boss Keane hopes to keep Man Utd duo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sunderland boss Keane hopes to keep Man Utd duo   Sunderland boss Keane hopes to keep Man Utd duo Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2007 3:38 am

I'm pretty sure they'll stay on for another year. We'll be calling back Pique and probably Bardsley so there is no point in bringing back Jonny and Danny next season. They need another season or two behind them. But with the number of injuries we've had this season I'm worried we might bring one of them back just as a precaution. Although I'm pretty sure atleast one of them will still be with Sunderland next season. A year of PL experience for the young lads will be good for them. I can see both having a future at United and for that they'll need to keep improving for the next couple of season which will be hampered if they are called back.
Back to top Go down

Sunderland boss Keane hopes to keep Man Utd duo
Page 1 of 1